Posts Tagged ‘kuryakyn’

WP_20150914_19_42_13_Pro

Several weeks ago I bought the Kuryakyn Faring Vent Cover and installed it on the bike. Shortly thereafter Harley Davidson came out with color matched covers for the flat black maw.  Had I known that they were coming out with the part I would have waited to get the Daytona Blue cover vice the chrome part. Don’t get me wrong, I like the look of the chrome on the fairing, but I think that the color matched would be better.

A few days ago I bought and installed the  Kuryakyn Tri-Line Gauge Trim.  I have the color matched inner-faring and it looks great but I just thought there was not enough contrast to make it really “POP”.  I looked at the “carbon fiber” insert from Harley but decided that just did not look good next to the blue.

Then I saw Tri-Line Gauge Trim on a Street Glide with a red (crimson?) painted fairing and tank.  Wow, because the chrome reflected the red it looked great to me.  I made the leap of faith that if it worked for a red bike my blue would be even better, LOL.

So following the same routine I used to prep the surface for the fairing vent (see this post) I installed the gauge trim. The photos really don’t do it any justice; in the garage it looks ok.  Out in the sun it look very nice and so far I have not had any issues with reflected sunlight and I ride away from the sun on both my morning and evening commutes.

 

WP_20150823_09_29_15_Pro

As I have noted in the past I really have not liked the appearance of the flat black maw that is one of the most noticeable features of the “Rushmore” motorcycles.  On the pearl/metal flake finish of the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Daytona Blue paint, that flat black just plan sucked.

I finally got around to purchasing the Küryakyn Chrome “Fairing Vent Cover” to cover that atrocity. 

The installation was, for the most part, quite straight forward.  Clean the surface and press on the part so the 3M adhesive can adhere to the surface.  But, from past experience the key to making it stick long term is a “SUPER” clean surface.  The way I handle the cleaning of any surface that will be stuck with 3M adhesives is:

            1) Wait for a WARM day.

            2) Vigorous wipe down with soft clean cloth.

            3) Vigorous use of a glass cleaner and a clean cloth.

            4) After drying, a second vigorous use of glass cleaner and a clean cloth.

            5) Use of supplied alcohol wipes for final cleaning. 

After the cleaning I test fitted the part to make sure I understood where and how it was going to fit.  The instructions suggested using masking tape to mark where everything aligns but, in my case, that was not necessary.

The hardest part of installation was getting the little strip covers off the adhesive.  I don’t have the longest fingernails but I doubt that many folks could have peeled these cover off with ease.  I ended up using jewelry sized flat end screwdrivers to get the strip loose then tiny pliers to pull them off…. It took over 15 minutes to get a few strip off .

I am quite pleased with the appearance of the cover on my bike.  MUCH better than the OEM standard!